Kelly is a warm, friendly and engaging woman who is very skilled at connecting with individuals and families from a diverse range of backgrounds and life experiences. As an expat herself, Kelly has first hand experience of the joys and challenges of expat life.
Kelly has worked in both the public and private mental health sectors in Australia, Fiji and Denmark.
Kelly is a specialist mental health social worker and systemic family therapist whose qualifications include include a Bachelor of Social Work and Bachelor of Psychology and a Post Graduate Diploma in Family Therapy. She has worked in the public mental health sector for most of her career. Her expertise includes working with individuals of all ages, couples and families affected by a range of psychological concerns.
Prior to moving to Denmark, Kelly specialised further in the eating disorders field, spending the majority of her time working with families who have a child or teenager with an eating disorder and became highly experienced in successfully using the Maudsley Model of Family Based Treatment for Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa (FBT). She trained and supervised the clinicians at the Mater Children’s Hospital in Brisbane in this model and also coordinated the eating disorders treatment program at this hospital. She presented her work at the Australian and New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders Conference in 2012.
Kelly's experience, interests and specialist skills are in the areas of
- Adjustment issues – difficulty coping with big changes in your life
- Stress, depression and anxiety in adulthood
- Childhood anxiety and depression
- Perinatal and Postnatal depression and anxiety
- Couples counseling for relationship concerns
- Adolescent Depression and anxiety – Family based Treatment
- Family relationship difficulties
- Children and adolescents with Anorexia or Bulimia Nervosa – Maudsley Model of Family Based Treatment
- Adults with Bulimia Nervosa – Guided Self Help for recovery
Kelly is also skilled and experienced in using a number of manualised and evidenced based programs;
- Facing your fears & Do as I Do – a program for children and parents when a child has anxiety.
- Resourceful Adolescent Program – a preventative group program to promote positive mental health and prevent adolescent depression. This includes components for adolescents, parents and teachers.
- Maudsley Family Based Treatment for children and adolescents with an eating disorder http://www.maudsleyparents.org
- Guided Self Help for Bulimia Nervosa – a manualised treatment for adults wanting to recover from Bulimia Nervosa
- Attachment based family treatment for adolescent depression and selfharm and suicidality
To learn more about Systemic Theory you may like to follow this link.
Kelly also draws on a number of other theoretical approaches including cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), attachment based therapy (ABFT) and structural therapy. Please ask if you would like to know more about these.
Talking Works is a counselling and psychotherapy clinic created by Kelly Pacheco. Kelly is an Australian accredited mental health social worker and systemic family therapist with more than 20 years experience working with children, adolescents, and couples and families.
Kelly created this service to meet the psychological and emotional needs of those for whom english is their preferred language. She is also very aware of the unique needs and experiences of people and families living an expatriate life.